It's been a couple months since I've updated, so I thought now would be a good time for me to talk about what's happening and wrap up my year. I've done a lot of crazy fun things this year, and I'm incredibly proud to be involved in the projects and people I work with so here are a couple things I forgot to post about.
1. Instagram
I joined it apparently. I wasn't feeling it when I first signed up, but when I realized I could post pictures of all of the delicious food I eat and fashion stuff I find I was sold.
Follow me @parrishsammi if you're so inclined ;)
2. Pittsburgh Fashion Week
Whoops...So I created a collection for Pittsburgh Fashion Week 2014 and it was a lot of fun! For those of you who follow me on social media and whatnot you probably already know what it looks like and the inspiration but I'll post it here anyways incase you need a refresher.
The collection is aptly named Cable Cocoon because I'm loving cable knits and I wanted to find a way to create the illusion of cable knits with crocheted stitches. I'd say I did a pretty good job, and I love getting to wear the pieces after the fact. Below are some pictures from a shoot I did and the actual fashion show, and I hope you all enjoy them! :)
As always I want to give a HUGE thanks to my models! They were wonderful and I'm so lucky to have had the chance to work with them!
Pittsburgh Fashion Week was a great experience and I'm very glad for the opportunity to be able to show my work. I couldn't have done it without the awesome support of my friends and family who I love dearly! :)
3. New Website
Yes it's true. I finally took the time to recreate my website and make it look like something to be proud of! Not to brag or anything but I'd say it looks pretty darn good for a girl that rarely uses the web design application necessary for that site. Anyways, it's a simple and classic black and white and easily found at sammiandcompany.com
4. Design Shift
Since my start at college I was alway thinking about designing childrenswear. I've always loved the idea of dressing kids because they can generally get away with anything. They've always got fun prints to play around with and great silhouettes so I decided to take the plunge into childrenswear.
Up until last year I had been working with childrenswear through my sketches and drawing projects, but this year I had the opportunity to use my mid term project as a springboard to start actually making childrenswear.
And so I made this cute little handkerchief skirt and got it to fit on my brand new size 6 mannequin! I hope I'll get to continue using my school projects to design for kids in the future but I may just have to wait and see.
5. New Job
Last year I had the awesome opportunity to work at Cut and Sew Studio as an assistant teacher. I'm teaching kids at around ages 6-11 how to sew. Honestly they just bring in their projects and I get to help them put it together. This job is incredibly fun and I'm so glad I get the chance to do it, the kids are awesome, and way more advanced at sewing than I was at their age (little jealous, won't deny it) but they're all great and it's really cool to teach in an environment where nearly every student wants to learn!
6. Crazy Classes
Jewelry
I got the chance to take another jewelry class over the Summer and I was OVERJOYED. I love making jewelry and I will be the first to say it. The jeweler's saw is my best friend, and I'm not against carving things in wax. I made some pendants, rings, and a crap ton of earrings and I just thought I'd share some of my pieces.
Digital Illustration
Only good, cool, fantastic things came out of this class. I learned about branding myself and using Illustrator and Photoshop (still enemy #1) to my advantage. We made our own logos, resumes, cover letters, letterheads, pretty much anything you can think of, we made and it was awesome. I wish I could take that class again it was so much fun.
7. London Calling
As a requirement for graduating AIP each fashion student must complete and internship. It can be anywhere at (nearly) any time, and I have the amazing, fantastic, incredible chance to go to London for my internship.
I've always wanted to go to London, and I'm ecstatic that I'll be able to go and actually work in the fashion industry there. I'm going through a program called Global Experience and so far they've been awesome at helping me understand their program and everything it entails.
I have (happily) enrolled in their program to go to London in 2016 and I am beyond overjoyed. The only thing is that London is extremely expensive. The tuition alone is $11,000 and I still have to pay for my flight, visa, and food. Along with working at Cut & Sew I've got another job, along with being a full-time student, and that's about as much as I can handle. I've started a GoFundMe Page and any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! (you also get a little gift if you donate)
In all 2014 was pretty good to me. I'm so grateful for the people I surround myself with and all of the love, support and friendship they give me. I couldn't be happier to step into 2015 with everything I've learned in 2014.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy series of holidays and enjoys the New Years with equal happiness!
Thanks,
Sammi P. :)













































No comments:
Post a Comment