Tuesday, June 24, 2014

1 Year Down, 2 To Go.

WOW.
A whole YEAR. Ignoring that fact that it's been CENTURIES since my last update, I cannot believe I've made it through my first year of college!!! Thank goodness I did, not sure what I'd do if I didn't.

So much has happened since my last post: Spirit Fashion Show, countless Macy's Events, FGI, Pittsburgh & Baltimore Fashion Week, Costume Archives, Fashion Shows at the Warhol, Quick Trips to NYC, Instagram, and school of course!

Last quarter I was chosen as Student of the Quarter and surprisingly enough was on the President's List with a 4.0!?! Not sure how that happened, but I'll go with it. It was an honor being chosen as Student of the Quarter in only my 4th quarter and I'm very grateful for the opportunities I've been given. 

Next up Pittsburgh Fashion Week! Training has started for volunteering and I am so excited! And if you're interested in volunteering there's still time! Follow @PGHFashionWeek on twitter and get updates about volunteer training dates. 
In other PGH Fashion Week news: I have been chosen to go the next level for the student show! This is very exciting for me seeing as I loved Fashion Week last year, and I'm sure I'll love it this year too! It's always an incredible experience and I always have fun!

In other exciting Fashion Week News: My mother (Glenda Bonds) will be showing in BALTIMORE FASHION WEEK & Pittsburgh Fashion Week!!!!! This is a very exciting (and mildly stressful, okay very stressful) time for her but I am so happy and excited to be able to support her designs in both shows! If you're interested in tickets for Baltimore Fashion Week they're on sale here. Baltimore Fashion Week is in August and you can follow them @BaltoFashWk for more updates!

And in BREAKING NEWS, I finally got an Instagram! Its parrishsammi (I don't get inventive ever) and I mostly post food (won't lie to you guys) but sometimes you get some hidden gems (like actual people, and my sketches for class and Fashion Week) So follow me if you so desire, I'd be happy to follow back (once I figure out how to do that #InstaIlliterate)
In keeping with the Fashion theme, lets talk about FGI Pittsburgh! I've gone to all the meetings that I could, and from what I can tell FGI Pittsburgh is really taking off! The meetings are always fun and interesting, we usually split into groups and talk about a certain aspect of the industry in Pittsburgh and it's always amazingly incredible to learn that there's actually real fashion in Pittsburgh! The meetings are always the last Thursday of every month (that means The June meeting is this Thursday!) and it's usually held at AIP so if you're interested pop in for a bit and check it out, or follow @FGIPittsburgh on twitter! 
Flipping back to fashion shows real quick, I'd love to show you guys what I did for CMU'S Prima Facie show! The show was way back in April I believe? And it was an interesting experience. I remember telling you all about it in my last post, so I won't go into all the dirty details, but I will show you some pictures!!!!
These are my preliminary sketches: 
And here's the show!




These images ARE NOT MINE! They are from the official Facebook page, so if you want to see more picture from the show, like the page! 

While we're on the topic of fashion shows, I let me show you some picture from Youth Invasion at the Andy Warhol museum and it was great! The show featured designed made by high schoolers and one of my models from Fashion Week designed in the show so it was great to see her designs walk the runway!

Somewhere in between school, fashion shows and volunteering I also went to NYC with my mom? Honestly can't remember when we went, but we hung out at Mood! 

In May my Fashion History class got the opportunity to visit the CMU Costume Archives! It was awesome to see clothes and fabrics from the 1800's and beyond.


This snazzy purple dresser is my favorite thing I wanted to grab it and run!

Okay, almost done! Moving onto Macy's events! I've been volunteering for Macy's for about 7-10 months now? Time is very confusing to me to be honest, and every event I participate in teaches me something new. At one event Aziza and I went to we got to style an entire fashion show, in another I got to work with top chefs, and at a Prom inspired event we got to meet the band AJR (they have some AWESOME covers)!



Alright. I think that's all? Let's hope so, it's truly incredible how much you can do in a 3-month time period! I've had fun doing it all and I can't wait for Fashion Week to finally be upon us! It has quickly become my favorite time of the year, so stay tuned for more updates! 

Like always, thanks for reading! 
~~Sammi P :)


No comments:

Post a Comment