*peeks out from behind the covers* Hey everyone....!?
Yes, so, it's been a month without my impassioned feminist rants, whoops? February, as crazy as it seems was hella hectic for me! I went home, had some amazing breakfast food, visited Mod Cloth, heard some amazing guest speaker, joined some new projects, and had interview aired, midterm tests and projects, and preparation for finals. No crazy dates, or romantic Valentine's evenings, but I did have Five Guys under the moonlight, so I'll count that as a win!
Before I talk about Mod U and our amazing guest speakers, let address the elephants in the room, monitor?
1. Apparently the world decided to change everything about grammar and there's only ONE space after a period? Excuse me? Entire generations have grown up with the two-space rule, who even got to make this decision???? #constantlyconfused
2. The Oscars, and the Academy Awards are.....the....same....thing? Sorry, what? Please don't make this difficult Academy. Just keep it simple and don't refer to the awards ceremony as the Oscars. #pleaseandthankyou
Alrighty then, now that that's been taken care of, let talk!
Last month I participated in Mod U (Mod University) at Mod Cloth in Pittsburgh, and the experience was unreal! We got to tour the facilities, they have there shipment center right below their offices! They were so organized and amazing I wasn't expecting it at ALL, they even had fake little puppy paw prints that ran through the whole building; Mod Cloth is a very dog friendly workplace. We saw where they shoot everything that goes on the website, and where they keep all the clothes they photograph with. We learned a bit about their private brands, and I went to a writing seminar, about, you guessed it, Writing for Mod Cloth.
Okay so you know how they have those really catchy and/or super obscure name titles? Well the writing team in Pittsburgh comes up with all of those names, and after you get the hang of it, its pretty fun! So I'll just tell y'all some of the things I found the most important and inspiring.
1. This is my favorite: Passion doesn't get you everywhere. You do actually have to do some hard work. I literally wanted to praise the woman who told us that, she was the head of their merchandising team, and just amazing.
If you love your job, don't quit it because you don't think you're "passionate enough." Don't let societal norms put you in a corner! Just because you don't always feel relaxed and completely in control of what you're doing at work, doesn't mean that you should quit after 15 years and search for your real passion. You probably won't find it.
2. Cover Letter's matter. A lot. Check your spelling, make sure you spell the company's name correctly; If you want the job, let them know that!
3. Mod Cloth is the most gender neutral company I know and I love them for it. In the writing session, they told us about how they write all those cute little descriptions, and if you didn't notice, they never specify if a girl a boy is wearing it. The description can include a little story about how you'll wear the dress and look great in it and your partner, or best friend, or coworker will think it looks great on you too!
Mod Cloth is so utterly aware that not everyone is the "American Ideal" and I literally love them for it. They never say that by buying this dress, you will totally get that raise you were looking for because that objectifies the wearer. And Mod Cloth wants you to know that if you're buying this dress, you're buying it for you and if so and so happens to like it? Well great, you feel great about yourself, and everyone else thinks you look cute too!
So besides all that fun stuff, Mod Cloth looks like maybe the greatest place to work besides Google? No honestly, everyone is just so happy there. I've never seen anything like that before? Like everyone just seemed really happy to be around each other just hanging out, it was kind of amazing.
Also, sorry for lack of pictures but I wasn't sure if I could take any...so this is all you get :)
Alrighty moving onto other incredible events!!! Last month was black History Month (whoop) and I volunteered at an event that Macy's was holding. Let me just preface this by letting you know it was amazing and fantastic and this wasn't the first time I volunteered for Macy's and it won't be the last.
Stephanie Taylor (my program chair at AIP!) was the interviewer/host of Demeatria Boccella (owner of Utopia Modeling Agency and founder of FashionAFRICANA), Constance White (journalist and style expert, and.....someone else....hmmmm.....what was her name..... oh right BEVERLY JOHNSON (supermodel and perfect person and general queen of the universe)
For those of you who don't know, Beverly Johnson was the first black woman to appear on the cover of Vogue so yeah it was a pretty big deal. Anyway, I didn't get to hear much but what I heard was pretty inspiring and awesome, these women are all just amazing, amazing role models, and Constance's book, which she was promoting and I got my hands on "Constance White Presents The Queens and Kings of Style" is fantastic, and I guess it was just great for me to see black women in the fashion industry up close? I don't know, it was just really great and I'm glad I got the opportunity! Also I got pictures this time:
We also had another guest speaker at the school, her name is Diana Misetic and she owns a store in Shadyside. Hailing from Europe, she worked as a city planner during the war and came to America soon after. Diana is pretty much amazing, in that she worked for a business and when that business shut down, saw an opportunity and actually made a business out of it. She told us about the need to stay up with ALL current designers and not just the famous ones, and trends and other cool stuff. She interns a lot people at my school and I think she would be an amazing person to learn from, especially because she does own and operate her own business. Here's her really awesome website: http://www.dianamisetic.com/
#colormeimpressedandmildlyobsessed
Okay, okay, okay we're almost there! I recently signed up to do the Spirit Fashion Show at Carnegie Mellon and I am PUMPED. I'm creating a whole new collection that refers to their theme Prima Facie, at first glance #latinscholar. I've gotten my models and what not, and if you're in the Pittsburgh Area during the first Saturday in April, you'll probably want to come to the show. It seems to me an awesome collection of designers, and I think it'll be a cool show. Here's more info from their website: http://www.spiritfashionshow.com/#!about/c240r
Okay last thing (I think) I participated in a series started by Miyoshi Anderson (the wonderful creator of Pittsburgh Fashion Week) called Pop-Up Fashion CORE (Create Opportunities for Real Exposure). Cool right? Well I was interviewed and we talked about the collection I showed in Fashion Week and my inspirations and materials and all that good stuff so, if you'd like, check out the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVLx1TituY8
Alright, I think that's it? Just a quick (long) update of how much can happen in a month! Also, why did no one tell me that Target had a killer music collection? Nearly spent my whole paycheck in that place.
I hope everyone is having a great break! If you're on break, you're really lucky. To everyone still in school or at work, you can do it! One more day 'till the weekend anyways! #pushthrough
So, please excuse my extreme amounts of hashtags and thanks for reading!
~~Sammi P :)


No comments:
Post a Comment