Thursday, January 2, 2014

Put a Ring on It

This holiday season my uncle asked if I got married.  Let me explain, I was wearing my ring on my left hand fourth finger, as I always do.  When I responded with "yes...I'm married to myself" we all had a good laugh.  But that got me thinking (of course).

Ever since I started college, my family has been asking about the normal stuff, school, grades, and crap, but also: have you met anyone yet? Boyfriend? Girlfriend? Which at some level is totally understandable but when my datelessness becomes the topic of conversation, I can't help but be a little annoyed.

I mean, so what if I don't have a significant other? I have myself to take care of! Especially when I'm in college: a new, possibly scary, unknown place where teenagers are put to the test: succeed, or drop out and ruin your entire future.  So with all of that pressure, you think I want to add another person to the mix? Hard pass.

Being married to myself has a lot of advantages like actually figuring out who I really am, and want to be.  In high school, when you're kind of under the thumb of your parents, you're pretty much obligated to do everything expected of you, but college is different.  Your only obligations are to yourself: do you want to pass this class and graduate college? Then go to the lecture and do your homework.  And when you're done, go do whatever you want to do.  Drink, Party, Eat (my personal favorite), but do what you want to do.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can become a whole new person in college, and it's important to me to know who I am.  So what if I take myself to breakfast or dinner?  So what if I don't go out and party, but stay in and watch Netflix? It's what I enjoy, and I enjoy taking care of myself and congratulating myself every once and a while.

And no this isn't one of those things that's all "no one can love you, if you can't love yourself" it's just me being fed up with the ridiculous expectation that by going to college, I'll meet my soulmate at orientation.  Hey that's great if it happens to you, actually that's pretty amazing, but that's not me.  I'm the type of girl who puts food before makeup, and sleep before parties, I like to treat myself every once and a while and so what if I don't have a bf, gf, or some crazy polyamorous relationship within my first semester.  Remember that I'm still trying to get my bearings here, and being in a committed relationship with myself, taking care of myself is all I need right now.

Thanks,
     Sammi P : )

No comments:

Post a Comment